Former unified middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin, the premier boxing broadcast free agent, met for four hours on Tuesday with DAZN executive chairman John Skipper and Matchroom Boxing promoter Eddie Hearn in Los Angeles, where Golovkin fielded the “best offer” for a contract with the subscription sports streaming service and the promoter, a source with knowledge of the meeting told ESPN.
Golovkin has had offers from DAZN and ESPN/Top Rank. He also met with Premier Boxing Officials last weekend around the Deontay Wilder-Tyson Fury heavyweight world title fight, for which he was ringside, and Golovkin is expected to receive an offer from PBC chief Al Haymon, who has broadcast deals with Showtime and Fox.
DAZN and Hearn would like to make a third fight between Golovkin and Canelo Alvarez, who edged Golovkin by majority decision in their rematch — the year’s biggest fight — on Sept. 15 to win the unified middleweight title.
Alvarez, whose contract with HBO, like Golovkin’s, ended after that fight, signed a record deal — five years, 11 fights and $365 million — with DAZN on Oct. 17. It kicks off with his Dec. 15 fight against secondary super middleweight titlist Rocky Fielding at Madison Square Garden in New York.
To show just how serious the discussions between Golovkin, DAZN and Hearn are, Skipper, who was in Tokyo on business, flew to Los Angeles for Tuesday’s meeting with Golovkin and not long after it was over was back on a plane to return to Tokyo to finish his business there, according to the source.
At the meeting, Hearn laid out what he envisioned as the plan for Golovkin’s next few fights, the source said.
Last month, Tom Loeffler, who runs GGG Promotions, told ESPN that Golovkin (38-1-1, 34 KOs), 36, would make a decision on a new broadcast deal by the end of the year with the intention to be back in the ring in the spring.
“ESPN and DAZN are very interested in Gennady and in the running,” Loeffler said at the time. “Both have a big budget for GGG.”