Angelique Kerber confirms wild card entry at Eastbourne

Tennis


World No. 1 Angelique Kerber will step up her Wimbledon preparations at the Aegon International in Eastbourne after accepting a wild card into the main draw.

A runner-up in Eastbourne in 2012 and 2014, German left-hander Kerber joins a line-up that includes Great Britain’s Johanna Konta and defending champion Dominika Cibulkova, with seven of the world’s top 10 female players entered for the event which begins on June 25.

Kerber, who also plays next week’s Aegon Classic in Birmingham, said: “Eastbourne is a tournament I’ve loved playing over the years. The courts are world class and the fans are wonderful, so I’m very excited to get back there and get back playing on the grass.”

The 29-year-old was runner-up to Serena Williams at Wimbledon last year.

This year’s Wimbledon begins on Monday, July 3. The men’s Eastbourne event has been boosted by the awarding of a wild card to Frenchman Gael Monfils, the world number 15 who will make his debut at the tournament.



Source link

Products You May Like

Articles You May Like

Jaylon Smith ready for game action with Dallas Cowboys
With Pittsburgh Steelers rookie T.J. Watt on rise, James Harrison ‘fine’ with role
Floyd Mayweather, Conor McGregor allowed to wear lighter gloves in Aug. 26 fight
Washington Nationals pitcher Stephen Strasburg strikes out 5 in 5 innings in rehab start
Notre Dame head football coach Brian Kelly says he was the absent professor last season

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *